Career In Oceanography
“Oceanography, also known as oceanology, is the field of earth science that includes the study of ocean currents, waves, the geology of the sea floor, and physical properties within the ocean and across its boundaries. It is the study of all things that is related to the ocean.”
The study of the ocean is divided into four branches namely biological oceanography (marine biology), chemical oceanography (marine chemistry), physical oceanography (marine physics) and geological oceanography (marine geology).
👉 Courses & Eligibility
In India, many institutions/universities offer postgraduate education in this field. Most oceanographers hold masters and doctoral degrees in oceanography. Oceanography is basically the research field. The top courses offered in this field are listed below:
📌 Master Courses :
• Master of Science (M.Sc) in Oceanography
• Master of Science in Marine Biology
• M.Tech in Ocean Engineering
• M.Tech in Ocean Technology
📌 Doctoral Courses :
• M.Phil in Marine Biology
• M.Phil in Chemical Oceanography
• PhD in Oceanography
👉 Eligibility Criteria :
For PG Courses :
Candidates who have passed B.Sc. either in Zoology/Botany/Chemistry/Fishery Science/Earth Science/Physics/Agriculture/Microbiology/Applied Sciences or in another equivalent field are eligible to pursue an M.Sc course in oceanography. The minimum educational eligibility for admission to the M.Tech programme is B. Tech or equivalent degree/AMIE (Associate Member of Institution of Engineer) in Civil Engineering/ Environmental Sciences with 60% marks. Those holding an M.Sc degree in the relevant field are also eligible.
👉 For Doctoral Courses :
To pursue Ph.D./M.Phil in oceanography, you must have a postgraduate degree in the related field.
👉 Admission Process
Most Universities/institution provides admission through an entrance test. Candidates who want to pursue M.Tech in oceanography have to appear in the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE 2021). Various institutions conduct conducts separate entrance exams for admitting students to their PhD courses.
👉Here, we have listed some colleges that provide education in oceanography:
• Department of Physical Oceanography: Cochin University of Science and Technology
• Anna University, Institute for Ocean Management, Chennai
• National Institute of Oceanography, Goa
• Annamalai University, Centre for Advanced Study in Marine Biology, Tamil Nadu
• Berhampur University, Berhampur, Orissa
👉 Skills Required
• Excellent scientific and mathematical skills.
• You should have knowledge of different oceans in a different areas.
• Good Practical and problem-solving skills.
• Research skills are essential to you so, that you can research about whole properties of the particular ocean.
• Observational skills must be good.
• communication skill is a must in you and the complete knowledge of computer applications like digital mapping, remote sensing, and computer modelling.
• Good knowledge of the subject of the marine environment is required.
• Written skills are very necessary when it comes to publishing specific findings.