Career in Merchant Navy
Merchant Navy is different from the navy in the sense that it offers commercial services, as opposed to the navy, which is largely involved in the defence of a nation.
The Merchant Navy is the backbone of international trade, carrying cargo all over the world. It offers an opportunity to visit new and exotic places all around the globe. Merchant Navy career is not only monetarily rewarding but also satisfying and quite challenging.
👉 Eligibility Criteria
- The eligibility for joining merchant navy is finishing class 12 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- Normal vision is required but glasses up to plus or minus 2.5 may be allowed.
- Admission is through an entrance followed by a screening test and a main written examination.
- After clearing the test, there is an interview and a medical test.
- You also need to complete a ship-training course prior to employment. The course is generally short-term where the candidates are taught basic security concerns of voyaging.
There are some private institutes, which offer training for the merchant navy as well. These institutes prepare students for jobs such as deck cadets and marine engineering jobs.
👉 How to Join Merchant Navy After 12th
After class 12, you are eligible to study the following merchant navy courses:
- B.Sc. Nautical Science
- B.E. Marine Engineering
- B.E. Naval Architecture and Offshore Engineering
- B.E. Petroleum Engineering
- B.E. Mechanical Engineering
- B.E. Harbour & Ocean Engineering
- B.E. Civil Engineering
- B.E. Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- B.Sc. Marine Catering
- Electro Technical Officer Course
👉 How to Join Merchant Navy After 10th
Merchant navy courses that you can pursue after 10th include:
- Near Coastal Voyage (NCV)
- Diploma in Nautical Science (DNS)
- Commercial Diving
- G.P. Rating
👉 Entrance Exams for Merchant Navy
After completion of the 12th class, interested candidates can appear for the Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test (IMU CET) or the All India Merchant Navy Entrance Exam. This exam is generally conducted in the month of May. The other exams that can also serve as a gateway for Marine Engineering are JEE, MERI Entrance Exam, TIMSAT.
- 10th for GP rating Course.
- For Deck cadet and Engine cadet: 10+2 with PCM 60%.
Application for the exam can be done online. Along with the application form, applicants have to submit a brief summary of 100 words that states why they wish to apply for Merchant Navy.
This exam is an MCQ pattern test spanning subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, English, General Knowledge and Reasoning.