Career as Company Secretary
Company Secretary (CS) or Corporate Secretary (CS) or Secretary is the same designation in an organization. It is a senior post in a private or public sector company.
The company secretary deals with the legal activities of any business. The role of a company secretary is to keep the records, advice, tax returns and evaluate the legal aspects of the organization
👉 Courses & Duration
The CS (Company Secretary) is a 3 years professional course equivalent to the UG degree. The CS course is conducted by the ICSE (Institute of Company Secretaries of India). The CS course is divided into three levels like the following:
- Foundation Course – 8 months
- Intermediate/Executive Course – 9 months
- Final/Professional Course – 15 months
This course is a corporate professional course. The foundation course involves the business environment, entrepreneurship, management, communication, ethics, economics, and accounting.
This executive programme comprises of company law, commercial law, tax law, general law, securities law, and accounts & audit practice.
In the final level of this course, the student involves the company secretarial practices, financial & treasury management.
In the final module of the programme. The CS has the opportunity of choosing option for anyone specialization like:
- Banking Law and Practice
- Capital, Commodity and Money Market
- Insurance Law and Practice
- Intellectual Property Rights – Law and Practice
- International Business-Laws and Practices
The student who had the cleared 12th standard in any disciplines (except Fine Arts) may get admission for CS (Company Secretary) programme. The students who have cleared the graduation can go for direct admission to the executive level.
👉 Some top colleges to pursue CS courses are listed here:
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU 2021)
- The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI)
- Aligarh Muslim University (AMU 2021), Aligarh
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya (DAV), Indore
- National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT), Delhi
- Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU), Hyderabad
👉 Some employment areas for Company Secretary (CS) are:
- Company Law Boards
- Financial Institutions
- Stock Exchange Corporate Advisory Services
- Departments of Company Affairs
- Company Secretary Ship Consultancy Firms
- Stock Exchanges
- Financial Management