Career as a Physiotherapist
“Physiotherapy” is the science of prevention, cure, and rehabilitation of the physically disabled and challenged people”.
Physiotherapy helps in the treatment of a person affected by injury, illness or disability. This is a science-based profession and involves the betterment of a patient’s lifestyle.
Physiotherapists (PTs) diagnose individuals based on their history and a physical examination. This diagnosis helps set up a management plan that will be used in treatment. If necessary, treatment is also based on their X-rays, CT-scans or MRI reports.
As the domain of physical therapy is quite large, many PTs specialise in a particular clinical area, which may include:
- Clinical Electrophysiology
- Cardiovascular and Pulmonary
- Sports Physical Therapy
- Women’s health
Eligibility to become a Physiotherapist
Subject Combination – Science Stream (Physics + Biology + Chemistry) in Class XII
Exam – NEET, CET, GGSIPU CET, JIPMER, RUET, JAKBOPEE CET, KAIET, UPMT, etc.
- A basic requirement is to have a passing certificate of 10+2 from a recognised institution in the Science stream.
- Candidates must have Physics, Chemistry and Biology and major subjects in their 10+2 with an aggregate of 50% in the final examination.
- Candidates also need to clear the entrance exam designed for the aspirants of physiotherapy.
- If candidates plan to do Master’s course in this stream then they must produce their bachelor’s degree marksheet at the time of admission along with the entrance exam marksheet.
You can also pursue for the master degree programme in Physiotherapy after completing graduation degree in Physiotherapy.
- B.PT (Bachelor in Physiotherapy) – full-time – 4 years + 6 month internship
- M.PT (Master of Physiotherapy)- full-time- 2 years
Employment Opportunities for Physiotherapists
- Corporate Houses
- Health care centers
- Private clinics
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Orthopedic Clinics
- Sports and Fitness Centers
- Defence Establishments
Top Colleges to pursue career as Physiotherapist
- D.Y.Patil University,Navi Mumbai
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- AIIMS Delhi,Delhi
- CMC Vellore, Vellore
- B.J.Medical College,Ahmedabad
- Central Drug Research Institute,Lucknow
- Pt. Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute of Medical